Friday, December 19, 2008

Sisters

I spoke to my aunt for as long as my tears allowed the conversation to proceed, while the whole family had left as she was buried 2 hours away in a small, Catholic cemetery where the remains of both her dear parents are interred. My aunt, titia as we all call her, has been a second mother to me since I can remember. She never married and was a constant, cheerful and helpful presence at our home of so many children. I have always been very close to her and she was a master storyteller! Titia, in a kind, calm and generous voice, described to me everything I missed: the mass in the living room, the open casket, the flowers and the people who kept pouring in the house yesterday, and the sermon of the Monsignor--whom I remember as a young boy, from the neighborhood, swimming and playing. He came, along with five more priests, to be with the family all the day yesterday. His sermon, it seems, touched everyone's hearts profoundly as Mamae was part of his growing up, his vocation, and even his education as she educated my little sister Marta, his Seminary professor. He knew Mamae... as we did.

My aunt's words and strength were a consolation to my heart, but not without painful sobbing.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

love2learnmom said...

Oh Ana, that must be so beautiful. So very sorry that you aren't able to be there, but what a wonderful aunt you have! God bless and comfort all of you.

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying your photos and stories. We are still praying for your pain and her soul. God bless, Liz F.

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for you, Mrs. B-H. I can't imagine how hard it was for you not to be present there for your Mom's funeral.

Love,
Annamarie

Crying with you

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

I do not remember a more profound pain. And yet I think of my dad, my aunt, my little sister.
May God, Our Eternal Loving Father, have Mercy n us.
May Our Blessed Mother keep us in her loving arms.