Thursday, January 24, 2019

Ten years, and still learning from my Mother...




In mid-December, the date of the tenth anniversary of mamãe's death came and went. The house was filling with family and advent preparations--but I have been thinking off and on about how I didn't mark that date. I still think of her so often--and like magic, she still teaches me! I see my myself facing new situations--from stuff at work to sewing projects--and her example comes to mind, always vivid, always teaching. How could I have been so lucky to have had such a good mother? Her taste for literature, her wisdom, her love for things classical and her knowledge of Greek, Latin and so many other languages! French, English, Spanish--she could speak them all! Her sewing and cooking tips, her optimistic, loving and sincere attitude towards all. Her ability to see Christ--and serve Him--in beggars, children, the poor, the neighbor. Before Christmas I had an exchange with siblings about our parents, asking for book-related memories--I am preparing to write a book chapter for WRM Book Club founder--and this email I wrote to close and thank them. (In Portuguese--google translation below).

Queridos,
Obrigada por todas as mensagens e memórias. Me ajudou muito porque cada memória traz mais lembranças... Me lembro de livros de cabeceira deles sim, mas papai e mamãe eram bem ocupados e nao tinham muito tempo para sentar e ler. Por isso, acho, ele lia os Alistair McCleans nas viagens. Aliás aprendi com mamãe a sempre estar ocupada com as mãos---se sento, estou com costura de mão, lavanderia para dobrar ou--e o melhor--coisinhas para bordar que faço para dar de presente. Eles sempre advertiam contra a ociosidade--e como estavam certos! Mas a presença dos clássicos nas prateleiras foi muito eloquente! Até hoje uma casa cheia de prateleiras com livros bons e clássicos me dá sensação tão boa, de conforto.
Mamãe leu muitos livros alto para titia principalmente nos seus anos dourados--muitos deles eu que mandei. E depois Marta também, que tinha uma coleção tão boa de livros! Papai gostou muito dos livros de CS Lewis--acho que foi Tete quem pensou nele primeiro ao encontrar esse autor britânico, prof de línguas da Oxford U. Papai citava São Paulo, Camões e Pessoa, Verne e outros autores, e quantas vezes na vida a frase "tudo vale a pena se a alma nao e' pequena" me veio à cabeça. Muitas outras frases deles me vem à mente often. E os ditados? Mamãe adorava ditados populares e sábios. Eu conto alguns em português para meus filhos-- que sempre acham engraçadíssimo. "E' no andar da carroça que as batatas se ajeitam"--as meninas morrem de rir.
Mamãe e Papai não se atraiam a nada que era medíocre, e acho que essa é a maior herança deles pra mim. A atração era consistente para o que era belo, verdadeiro, justo. Por mais que eles tenham tido suas faltas, (e quem as não tem?)--eles me exemplificaram isso tão bem. Quanto eles me ensinaram com somente olhares... Com um gesto e um olhar, ela era capaz de me dar lições inesquecíveis. Isso de saber distinguir o bem do mal, o feio do belo, o justo do injusto--que preciosidade. Me lembro bem de papai falando "O maior problema de hoje não é que se faz o errado--mas que a noção do que é errado vai se perdendo." Que palavras terrivelmente verdadeiras. Não preciso citar exemplos.
Lembro do amor de mamãe por poesia, e ela lendo Drummond de Andrade e outros alto. Como lia e recitava bem! Me lembro de quanto não gostavam de video games quando eles apareceram--Geoff e eu conseguimos nao comprá-los para os nossos meninos--que reclamavam bastante, e no entando agora nos agradecem, porque tiveram tempo de ler tantos livros bons. Como foi bom o papai não ter deixado a TV encher o ambiente em casa de programas bobos. Quanta coisa de bom aprendi com eles, e Geoff, que admirou papai e mamãe imensamente, e eu tentamos incorporar, albeit tão imperfeitamente, quando criamos nossos filhinhos. Devemos tanto, tanto a eles.
Na contribuição minha para o livro de autoria de minha amiga, vou trazer `a tona algumas dessas memórias valiosas, e minhas conversas sobre livros com mamãe durante a faculdade,
e depois, na minha vida de casada--como era bom mandar pra elas livros que ela amou! e também vou falar do presente, agora com filhos adultos e agente sempre conversando sobre livros, etc.
Esse amor ao que é de melhor--essa sede natural da gente por tudo que é de bom--a mais bonita imagem, a mais doce voz, a melhor sinfonia, o sorvete mais gostoso. Gostamos do cartão mais lindo, das palavras mais eloquentes, dos sentimentos mais bem expressos. Somos gratos pelos melhores amigos, aqueles que nos entendem, compartilham bons valores, ajudam, amam. Nosso coração se engrandece e se sente realizado quando somos capazes e amar, de dar, de ser presente aos outros. Lembro de papai e mamãe dizendo como crianças pequenas sabem disso tão puramente--querem justiça, querem o melhor, e querem continuar coisas boas sem parar. Assim nosso coração como que dói quando nos deparamos com beleza profunda, nos tira o folego, as lágrimas jorram vendo o amor em prática, a ânsia profunda no coração, querendo tanto tudo para o qual fomos criados. Isso que aprendi em casa carrego comigo de muito valioso, e me ensina sobre quem sou, de onde vim, para onde vou.
Que maravilha ter tido a mamãe, que pessoa de valor, e amor, sacrifício e compaixão, ela era. Como seus olhos eram expressivos, brilhavam, admirando a beleza dessa vida, ensinando tanto, amando sempre. Como papai deu tão boas lições de ser industrioso, "puxar pra frente", admirar o que é de melhor nessa vida. Que seria de mim sem eles?
O que acho incrível é como ainda aprendo com eles, como me vejo em situações e as palavras e exemplo deles me vem à mente.

Nesse tempo do ano de gratidão, um modo de ser grata é exatamente de lembrar, escrever, contar aos outros sobre como bons pais podem formar a vida dos filhos, e transformar o mundo para melhor.
Desculpe a mensagem longa. Somente quis falar de minhas memórias e gratidão.
Love, Aninha


English:
Dear Ones, Thank you for all the messages and memories. It helped me a lot because each memory brings more memories ... I remember their bedside books yes, but Mom and Dad were very busy and did not have much time to sit and read. So, I think, he read the Alistair McCleans on their travels. In fact, I learned from Mom always being busy with my hands --- whether I sit down, I have hand sewing, a folding laundry, or - and the best - little things to embroider that I do for a gift. They always warned against idleness - and how right they were! But the presence of the classics on the shelves was very eloquent! To this day a house full of shelves with good and classic books gives me such good feeling of comfort. Mother read a lot of books to Auntie especially in her golden years - many of them I sent. And then Marta, too, who had such a good collection of books! Daddy was very fond of CS Lewis's books - I think it was Tete who first thought of him when he met this British author, prof of Oxford U languages. Dad was quoting São Paulo, Camões and Pessoa, Verne and other authors, and how many times in life the phrase "everything is worth it if the soul is not 'small' came to mind. Many other sentences of them come to mind often. And the sayings? Mother loved popular and wise sayings. I count some in Portuguese for my children - who always find it very funny. "And 'on the floor of the wagon that the potatoes settle' - the girls die of laughter. Mom and Dad were not attracted to anything that was mediocre, and I think that's their biggest legacy for me. The attraction was consistent to what was beautiful, true, fair. As much as they have had their faults, (and who does not?) - they exemplified this so well. How much they taught me with just glances ... With a gesture and a look, she was able to give me unforgettable lessons. That of knowing how to distinguish good from evil, the ugly from the beautiful, the just from the unjust - how precious. I remember Dad saying, "The biggest problem today is not that you do wrong - but that the notion of what's wrong is getting lost." What terribly true words. I do not need to cite examples.
I remember Mom's love for poetry, and she reading Drummond de Andrade and others loudly. How I read and recited well! I remember how much they did not like video games when they showed up - Geoff and I managed not to buy them for our boys - who complained a lot, and now thank us, because they had time to read so many good books. How good it was for Daddy not to let the TV fill the atmosphere at home with silly programs. How much good I learned from them, and Geoff, who admired Dad and Mom immensely, and I try to incorporate, albeit so imperfectly, when we raise our little children. We owe so much, so much to them. In my contribution to my friend's book of authorship, I will bring to light some of these valuable memories, and my conversations about books with Mom during college, and then in my married life-how good it was to send them books she loved! and I'll also talk about the present, now with adult children and an agent always talking about books, etc. This love of what is best - this natural thirst of people for all that is good - the most beautiful image, the sweetest voice, the best symphony, the most delicious ice cream. We like the most beautiful card, the most eloquent words, the best expressed feelings. We are grateful for best friends, those who understand us, share good values, help, love. Our hearts magnify and feel fulfilled when we are capable and love, to give, to be present to others. I remember Mom and Dad saying how little children know this so purely - they want justice, they want the best, and they want to continue good things without stopping. So our heart hurts when we face deep beauty, takes our breath away, tears welling up seeing love in practice, the longing in the heart, wanting so much everything for which we were created. What I learned at home I carry with me of great value, and teaches me about who I am, where I came from, where I am going.
How wonderful to have had Mom, what a person of value, and love, sacrifice and compassion, she was. As his eyes were expressive, they shone, admiring the beauty of this life, teaching so much, loving always. As Dad gave such good lessons of being industrious, "pull forward", admire what is best in this life. What would it be of me without them? What I find incredible is how I still learn from them, how I see myself in situations, and their words and example come to my mind. At this time of the year of gratitude, a grateful way is to remember, write, tell others about how good parents can shape children's lives, and transform the world for the better. Sorry for the long message. If I can ask a favor, please respond privately and with respect if I said something that you found ugly. I just wanted to talk about my memories and gratitude.
Love, Aninha



No comments: