Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May 1st: Labor Day, St. Joseph the Worker

Talking to my nephew Jose Marcos on the phone two days ago, we commented on how Brazilians have a way to finding 4-day weekends almost every month: growing up in Brazil, today would be a major Labor Day holiday. (There is a part of me that wishes we could be all together with family in Brazil today). After moving here I found it interesting to learn about the origins of May 1st as Labor Day and how we in the USA have our own Labor Day in September. The Catholic Church, in her Wisdom, has set the feast of St. Joseph the Worker to Christianize this holiday which is celebrated in Europe and South America today.

Searching the web for information about St. Joseph the Worker in Portuguese, I found that there are numerous parishes all over my native country named after him: São José Operário. The illustration I found came from a Brazilian site as well.

St. Joseph the Worker, pray for us!

No comments: