Saturday, January 19, 2008

Picture book of the week

Mud Pies and Other Recipes: A Cookbook for Dolls, by Marjorie Winslow, illustrated by Eric Begvlad.
2001, Walker Publishing Company.

I picked this up quite casually from the library the other day, as I do many times with books that catch my eye for this or that reason.

Well, Number Six read it all, then read it all aloud to her younger sister, and has been enamored of it!

And then she took upon herself to copy many of the recipes by hand, and after folding the paper she wrote, "Nature food to make for dolls". She said she is waiting for summer... poor thing. If only she didn't live in South Dakota. (Does she realize summer never really arrives here? When it threatens, it quickly retreats... and then it's fall.)

The book is just darling. The illustrations by Eric Blegvad remind me a little bit of the sweet ones by Garth Williams. Little ones will look at all the cute details while you read them the imaginative "recipes"!

It turns out the copyright goes back to 1961, and this is a 40th anniversary edition, with a postscript by the author herself.

Take a look at the sample pages I added here... and go get it from your library! But I warn you, you may have to hide it from your children if you live above a certain latitude.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a darling book, Ana. I know someone here who would like that (besides me). Thanks for the recommendation. Are you as cold as we are-yikes!

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Oh, Sarah... it is colder... highs in the negatives this week. Brrrr!

The little girls enjoyed the "Pencil Shavings Pudding" recipe today with their dolls. I let them use a bit of whole wheat flour. Fun!