Thursday, April 10, 2008

Two great budget ideas: homemade syrup and homemade clothes detergent.

Number One is a fan of a budget blog called The Simple Dollar, and I read his shared items via my googlereader. On that blog today: he made homemade laundry detergent and reports the making-of and the results (on two mustard-soiled white shirts). Fascinating! I may try it!

Second budget idea of the day: my friend Ginger has told me about making homemade syrup for years! Husband will not have anything but Pure Maple syrup and the kids and I have tried whatever-was-cheap at the store over the years... That is, until recently in Nebraska, when we tasted, again, the delicious homemade syrup Ginger makes, so much better-tasting and similar to the real thing.

So here it goes:

How to make you own pancake/waffle syrup:

Super easy–Number Five did it while we flipped pancakes. And better tasting too. Just buy Mapleline essence (in the spices rack area) and follow the instructions. Ingredients? Water, sugar, Karo. I will never buy store bought syrup again!


No comments: