Monday, November 30, 2009

Do Re Mi: If You Can Read Music, Thank Guido D'Arezzo

Do Re Mi: If You Can Read Music, Thank Guido D'Arezzo, by Susan Roth, 2007 Houghton Mifflin Books for Children

A dear blog reader recomended this picture book on the life of Guido d'Arezzo, the Benedictine monk who came up with the system for writing music one thousand years ago--the same system we still use today. I requested it via inter library loan since our library does not own the title.

I liked the way the life of the monks is described, but I wonder about the illustrations... in the book the monks look more like Dominicans in white habit... Honestly, my wish is for the book to be re-ilustrated by another artist! Still, a very nice cultural picture book and... you may not mind the style of the illustrations!

1 comment:

Kansas Mom said...

I feel the same way about Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons by
Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Brooke Dyer. I thought the "lessons" were cute and smart, but the illustrations really turned me off. So much so I didn't even read it to the kids at all.