Sunday, November 21, 2010

Missing Number Three


Number Three, who has been busy in college as you can see (ideally busy as in the top photo, not the second one) will be home soon, for the first time since he was left at UD in August. We all miss him immensely as his presence fills the home, and cannot wait for his arrival!

Today I spent quite a bit of time cleaning his room with Number Four and preparing things upstairs for his and Number One's arrival this week. As I went through his many books on the shelves in his room, which is something I had been planning to do for a while, I relived his childhood and growing up years: I found Usborne list books and books on sharks facts, then bigger books on spiders--his teenage years arch enemy. (He tries to conquer his arachnophobia)... Along these there were picture books of The Odyssey and Lamb's Tales of Shakespeare, immersed in Bethlehem "chapter" books... and then on the higher shelves the real things: several volumes of Shakespeare, and Homer, Herodotus, Tacitus. I found books on his patron saints behind a childhood statue of Saint Michael, and then a small icon, and behind it the Holy Bible, and some high school age volumes on religion and philosophy. The chronology of comic books followed suit: I found Asterix and Tintin, and then Calvin and Hobbes, and finally Dilbert.

I can't wait for him to get home, especially now that I relived his life so far-- the literary way.