Monday, March 07, 2011

The perfect cake

After the granola picture the other day, Husband says I may have a career in food photography. I don't get these high compliments from him often and I may as well not, as this photo may have him take it back. The cake was in its very last uneven pieces when the camera was produced. I made it for Number Three's arrival. The recipe is handwritten in a notebook I took to Brazil when I was first married, to copy recipes from Mother's handwritten cookbook.

Bolo 1, 2, 3, 4

1 C Butter, beat with:
4 yolks
3 C sugar

add:
3 tsp baking powder in 1/2 C warm milk

alternate:
3 C flour with
1 C milk

fold in:
4 egg whites , beaten to form soft peaks


Bake it until done in a 350F oven, and enjoy... the perfect homemade cake.

We covered it with the juice of one lime, mixed with 1 C sugar, as soon as it came out of the oven. Yum!

7 comments:

Kathie said...

Looks great. But, ...what sized pan, Ana?

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Sounds interesting! Thank you!

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Kathie, I used this one:
http://anabragahenebrysjournal.blogspot.com/2010/03/before-and-after.html

Jannell said...

I was and am still surprised at how difficult it is to take decent pictures of food. Who knew?! I have a new respect for food photogs.

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Agreed!

Sara said...

Looks yummy! We just might be making a "Fat Tuesday" cake tomorrow!

I still remember the wonderful banana cake you brought over when Gabrielle was born!

Thanks for the recipie.
Sara

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Do it! Secret: beat the first ingredients *a lot*. Also, I didn't mention it, but the Brazilian recipe says add vanilla too! Send me a pic!