Saturday, December 24, 2011

Rabanadas!


I have developed my own version for this Portuguese recipe through the years...  The fabulous cookbook A Continual Feast has a great recipe for it and my own adapted recipe comes from it. Some families in Brazil have this during the holidays only--and I seem to do the same, although growing up we used to have it year round.

 I believe the original bread you start with should be a day old French loaf--commonly found in a Brazilian kitchen. For this batch I used a homemade, dense bread I had extras of, sliced about one 3/4 inches thick. I scalded the milk and added about 1/2 Tsbp lemon juice to it, some sugar and 3 eggs. The slices soaked in there and were fried in vegetable oil and then rolled in sugar.

Delicious breakfast with fresh coffee.

3 comments:

KATHY said...

HI Ana,

I've been a reader of your blog for some time. I love your warm and genuine style.

Could you please add links for the artwork you post. The painting on Dec 23 was gorgeous.

Have a very Merry Christmas.

kathy

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Kathy, what a beautiful family you have! I found the image at http://christmas.justinreeve.com/o-come-o-come-emmanuel/

I have friends near where you are! And our good bishop came from there.

Patrick Braga-Henebry said...

I can attest this french toast was delicious.