Thursday, September 12, 2013

Book Club!










I have been missing leading book clubs. In Nebraska I had a group of women who always asked me to lead/ host them in summer, and it was enjoyable in so many levels! I also led students' groups in high-school and elementary school levels, and those are wonderful, house-full afternoon memories! I have been thinking of this new resource, The Well-Read Mom, since last year, and now, living in town, I am able to do it.

The Well-Read Mom offers structure and resources I can easily tie in to for a local book club. The book list for last year was wonderful, from authors such as Nathaniel Hawthorne, Willa Cather, Isak Dinesen and my beloved Sigrid Undset. This year we begin with a personal favorite of mine, Flannery O'Connor. In fact, one of the determining factors for me to go ahead and plunge into this new effort was the fact that I have been listening to O'Connor's stories on Audible now for a while--and greatly enjoying them anew, read aloud by different narrators, many of them southern. The audio is opening for me a whole new window into Flannery's world! We will also read Pearl S. Buck, which I haven't read since college years, and Bess Streeter Aldrich, whom I never read, not even after living in her native Nebraska for six years. And the list goes on with The Practice of the Presence of God by Br. Lawrence, Homer, Jane Eyre, Dorothy Day and Gerard Manley Hopkins among others.

Looks like exciting literary times--so help me God.

No comments: