Thursday, May 08, 2014

Novena in Preparation for Confirmation

Number Six will be confirmed on May 25th, and are all getting excited for the big day. She found a Novena to say in preparation for the reception of this important sacrament. Please join our family in saying this novena!




A Novena to the Holy Spirit 
to prepare for Confirmation


Begin each day by reciting the following prayer...



O Holy Spirit, Divine Consoler! I adore you as my True God.
I give you praise with the angels and the saints.
I offer you my whole heart, and give you thanks for all you have given me.
You shower your gifts on all the faithful. I ask you to visit me with your grace and your love
as I prepare to be sealed with your power at Confirmation.
Come, O Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your faithful,
and kindle in them the fire of your love.


Continue with the prayer of the appropriate day...


Day 1

Lord, send out your Spirit and renew the face of the earth.
Give us wisdom that Your will may be clear to us and that we may accept it.
Grant us the gift of counsel that we may always perceive what is right.
Strengthen us that we may always be capable of fulfilling your will.
May you reconcile all divisions in the friendships, families, among nations, and in your Church.
May the gift of knowledge help us work for reconciliation and peace.
Come, O Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your faithful,
and kindle in them the fire of your love.

Practice:

Seek forgiveness when necessary. Pray for peace in a particular part of the world.

Day 2
O Holy Spirit, make me faithful in every thought,
and grant that I may always listen to your voice,
and watch for your light, and follow your gracious inspirations.
Come, Holy Spirit, shine on us with the radiance of your love.
May you help us to rejoice in the countless blessings God has given us and teach us to do God’s will.
May your wisdom guide us and all God’s people.
Come, O Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your faithful,
and kindle in them the fire of your love.
Practice:
Spend extra time in the silent prayer to talk and listen to the Spirit in your heart.

Day 3
You have called me to be a member of the church, the body of Christ, and to be a temple of the Holy
Spirit. I ask you to give me these gifts: wisdom to seek you, understanding and knowledge of you,
counsel to recognize you, the strength and the faith to hold fast to you, and awe that I might honor you.
Make me a true disciple of Christ, who was anointed by the Spirit to bring us Good News.
May I act with justice, see Christ in the face of the poor and pray for those who mourn.
Come, O Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of Your faithful,
and kindle in them the fire of Your love.
Practice:
Earn or set aside money for a charitable cause.

Day 4
Loving God, by the light of the Holy Spirit you instructed the hearts of the faithful.
Give us, by the light of the same Holy Spirit, a love for what is right and just.
May the Holy Spirit fill our hearts with love for the you and respect for all your creation.
Give us the gift of reverence for you and all that you have made.
Come, O Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your faithful,
and kindle in them the fire of your love.
Practice:
Use everything with care and gratitude today.

Day 5
Come, O Spirit of holiness from the glory of heaven and send forth the radiance of your light.
Father of all the poor, light and peace of all hearts, come with your countless gifts.
May your gift of understanding enlighten us to grasp better Christ’s love for us and show us how to
love others as he loves us. May we show our love by serving our brothers and sisters.
Come, O Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your faithful,
and kindle in them the fire of your love.
Practice
Do something nice for someone today and don’t let the person know that you did it (think random
acts of kindness).

Day 6
Gracious God, I ask you to send the Holy Spirit, as you have promised.
May your Spirit remind me when I forget you and the path you set before me.
May the Spirit help me to remember your goodness, your wisdom and you unfailing mercy.
Give me a new heart and place your Spirit within me.
Come, O Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your faithful,
and kindle in them the fire of your love.
Practice
Do not complain, but speak positively.

Day 7
Come, Holy Spirit, creator of all things: come visit our hearts with your power.
Fill the hearts you created with your grace. You are the source of life, light and love, and all that is
good. Join us all together as your sons and daughters.
Come, O Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your faithful,
and kindle in them the fire of your love.
Practice:
Be kind to someone with whom you have had a disagreement.

Day 8
O Holy Spirit, life and light of the Church, give us thoughts higher than our own thoughts,
and prayers better than our own prayers, and powers beyond our own powers, that we may love
and live,
imitating Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.
May the gifts of wonder and awe enable us to reject sin,
and may the Spirit of the Lord live in us as his temple.
Come, O Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your faithful,
and kindle in them the fire of your love.
Practice:
Keep God in mind as you make decisions throughout the day.

Day 9
Holy Spirit, grant me sight to see the wondrous promise of your love,
insight to see my own weakness, and the grace to ask for your help and mercy.
As I come to my Confirmation, may I be filed with zeal to proclaim the Gospel in joy and strength.
Come, O Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of Your faithful,
and kindle in them the fire of Your love.
Practice:
Look on the others in your life as gifts and graces of the God who loves you.

No comments: