Thursday, July 17, 2014

I never knew my older siblings used fountain pens!

My sister Tereza is just seven years older than me and sent out this morning this interesting post about the school supplies she and my other older siblings remember so well. I do remember some of them, like the wooden pencil holders, and we did own both a mimeograph and that portable typewriter, but I never knew they were still using fountain pens in school!  Also, many of our friends' families had the Barsa Brazilian encyclopedia, but my dad had a complete Britannica, and did I spend hours reading that... and learning more English in the process!

















2 comments:

Tereza Braga said...

Friends are loving this! I remember when 'esferográficas' appeared ("ball pens" in America, right?) I still used my fountain pen for a while, then sometimes... until no more supplies were to be found. I remember so well when they invented cartridges and my pen got an update. We didn't need to buy the ink jars any longer. I still remember taking the ink jar to school! It was always a thrill to go to the "papelaria", a tradition still alive in Brazilian retail, so much smaller and more exciting than an office supply store...

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

I just never knew you and the older siblings used them! I love fountain pens. :-)