Monday, February 11, 2019

A snowy Birthday

It was a beautiful snowy afternoon, and I chose to enjoy it by working towards accomplishing some Julia Child recipes. I made French Onion Soup, and succeeded at French baguettes! Number Seven decorated a chocolate cake with raspberries and a couple of pretty candles sis Tereza sends in the mail, and a dinner guest brought fresh flowers. Number One had send a gift ahead-- a new coffee grinder. Most of the kids called, and Number Three sent a loving message: 

A huuuuuuuuuuuuuge happiest birthday to our dearest, sweetest, most-Julia-Child-esque mother who deserves all the praise and joy and love possible! Although Jessie and I aren’t pregnant (yet), we’ve talked at length many times about how much we’re looking forward to having such a grandma as you’ll be, Mamae! You’ve been such a wonderful example to us all of maintaining one’s hope, joy, faith, and love throughout life’s slings and arrows, and I’m so excited to pass on what I’ve learned from you (and Dad) to our own kiddos!

But the best of all was Husband's arrival, and his reading aloud of a poem-prayer he wrote while on retreat. I was working on my crochet on the couch, next to him, and the tears rolled. I don't know how a heart can feel so full to the point of breaking... and only in the currency of heavenly grace I can understand the gratitude to God for bringing us both together. 

Thanks be to God for my dear wife, who has joined me en route.
Thanks be to God for my dear wife, who offers to help me stay the course.
Thanks be to God for my dear wife, who bore, nursed, fed, reared, and taught our seven children.
Thanks be to God for my dear wife, who suffered with me in trials and challenges, and persevered to support me.
Thanks be to God for my dear wife, who prays for guidance, hearing, discernment for us, our family and our friends. (How good God has been to us by answering prayers!)
Thanks be to God for my dear wife, who has clung tenaciously to our faith.
Thanks be to God for my dear wife, who has offered example and advice to those seeking help, though her writing and conversation.
Thanks be to God for my dear wife, who has consented to share my life without knowing well what she had agreed to. (The gift of trust and faith.)
Thanks be to God for my dear wife, who did not turn and flee when things were rough but persisted in love, patience, kindness and forgiveness.
Thanks be to God for my dear wife, who has followed and guided my peripatetic trail across the  country making the “best out of it”.
Thanks be to God for my dear wife, who prepares lovingly to be a grandmother.
Thanks be to God for my dear wife, who prepares lovingly for a new phase of life with me as empty-nesters.
Thanks be to God for my dear wife, who has shared my life for more than three decades, more than half her life to date.
May she be blessed on her birthday and every day, resting, working, striving, loving, in His light.
Amen
February 10, 2019







2 comments:

Eva said...

Happy Birthday! That is a very sweet poem/prayer. You have a wonderful husband!

P.S. I just responded to your e-mail!

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Thank you, Eva! He is truly wonderful! Will look for the email.