Monday, February 04, 2019

Julie & Julia, a review of sorts



I've liked Julia Child ever since I first encountered her, back when the kids and I visited the library weekly and grabbed all sorts of books. We went through a phase of watching old videos of her so I am familiar with her mannerisms. We can all still sing her "Remixed" video! It is one memory that brings Braga-Henebry smiles every time!

Having now time more time available with Husband, who enjoys watching movies, we sat to watch the delightful film about the American blogger who challenges herself to cook all of Julia Child's recipes in the space of one year. She gets a book deal in the process. As invariably all movies go, the film is  far from perfect, but it was fun and interesting for the most part. The character of Julia Child was very well done, if a bit stretched, by Meryl Streep, and as likeable and classy as I have encountered her before. I have never done much French cooking, but will try this or that once in a while, and always think of good and fun Julia Child. The story of her book came to be is well told in the film.

Now for the American protagonist--if I started watching thinking "maybe I should have read the book first", those thoughts were quickly spelled away. Because of the very sweet and likeable actress, the American blogger personality seems to have been redeemed somewhat. I was not surprised to see that on Amazon the majority of her reviewers gave her the lowest rating. Let's say also that the climax of the film is when she eats a poached egg and finds it surprisingly delicious. Every other building to a climax is sorely disappointing. To note is that early in the movie we find out the French chef celebre is still alive and well, and obviously we think at some point a meeting will happen! Instead we are told toward the end that the real Julia is not impressed by her American blogger counterpart. I had to read more and a brief online research showed me how different their personalities were. One was bright, generous, classy; the other was quintessentially self-centered. The movie fails somewhat to show the negative side of Julie because of the sweet actress, but it does come through. A quick read of her book preface alone suffices.

Somehow it all ends boiling to virtue, to love. Doesn't it, always? Julia Child wouldn't have been Julia Child hadn't she been the loving, fun, bright and giving person she was. She believed in the sacredness of cooking and feeding our fellow human beings. I am so glad I have "met" her.

There is something about cooking that is so hard to express, but it is completely tied to loving, and serving. This has been the one theme I have touched on in cooking "career"—be it a home entertaining guests, or teaching my cooking classes.

No comments: