Thursday, August 16, 2007

A report from Africa

Our friend Liz F. is in Ethiopia, with her oldest daughter, picking up two newly adopted children. I received this fascinating email and, with her permission, decided to share it here.

We had the opportunity, recently, to taste real Ethiopian coffee. We agree with Liz: we never had coffee like that before.

God Bless you, Liz, and we are praying for your safe return.

The Ethiopian people are SO beautiful. I mean that they are very beautiful physically, but perhaps it's because they are so friendly and helpful. They smile all of the time.

It's strange b/c of the juxtapostion of poor and wealthy homes, hotels, businesses etc. Our hotel is VERY fancy by Ethiopian standards and there are shacks across the road.

The driving is nuts. Scary, but fun.

The poverty is heart-wrenching.

The food is like the driving. It's good, but we have to be so careful.

I drank my coffee w/o cream yesterday b/c no dairy b/c it might make us very sick. However, last night I found out that they can steam our milk :o) This a.m. I had coffee and steamed milk. Ethiopian coffee is very strong and extremely good.

I have so much more to add, but I'm afraid the electricity will go off (common) and I will lose all of this!

Nancy and I slept very well last night (actually overslept.) The jet lag and the altitude are getting to us, but it was nice to finally sleep. It's 4:44 am in Nebraska right now so I'm still a little groggy in spite of the yummy coffee.

Liz

No comments: