Friday, October 19, 2007

The Kitchen Madonna

Apostle of Suburbia's post two days ago took me to a Rumer Godden's website and reminded me of how I have meant to post about a favorite book of ours!

Love2Learn has a nice review of this excellent story by the renowned British writer Rumer Godden, author of In this House of Brede among many fine novels. Rumer Godden became a Catholic during her lifetime, which is fact well-known to her admirers but unfortunately ignored in the website mentioned.

Husband has his old copy, read by his mother many years ago to him and his sisters. Books we enjoyed in childhood, especially the ones immersed in the memory of reading-aloud, seem to have deeper significance. Husband is a wonderful reader, and his pleasure in reading The Kitchen Madonna aloud was obvious to his grateful audience.

It's of course out of print, as many good books are, but thanks to the internet multiple copies can be found available online.

3 comments:

love2learnmom said...

Ah, that is a great one. My mother read it aloud to me too (though I was in high school at the time).

gmh said...

For the sake of historical accuracy: the copy we have is one I picked up at Bluestem Books in Lincoln, NE (if I recall correctly). It was not my mother who read this book aloud (she read several others), but Miss Pitt, my fifth-grade teacher at Brookwood School in Manchester, MA, who read it aloud to the class in, let me see, 1970 or '71.

Apostle to Suburbia said...

Ana, I have "The Kitchen Madonna" on my "to read" list. I'm hoping to find a copy someday--maybe with that beautiful cover. :)