Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Trip V: My Dad

He is quiet and lonely without our dear mother, whose presence he misses painfully. Theirs was an adventurous, inspiring 57 year marriage. As an old man, he walks slowly with the help of a sturdy wooden cane, and spends much of the day in a very quiet way. While I was there I went through his office, preserved by my sister much as it was in my growing up years. A framed picture of him with Tio Gustavo, the Brazilian thinker and author about whom my sister wrote her book, has always been there. In the same way, I cannot remember life at home without his large, framed National Geographic World Map, under a crucifix, where we all would go to find a location subject of a conversation. The books and items on the shelves reflect his love for the Church, for literature and for religious thought, and his career as a steel engineer. The small iron figure of Churchill has always been there in my mind, in front of his famous WWII oeuvre. And a copy of the Gettysburg address--dad has always been a great admirer of Lincoln. Dad traveled the whole world, taking Mother with him many times, and brought home, to us, much of its history and culture. He was constantly fascinated by beauty, by art, by goodness and by Love.

Dad is a great man, and I was an adoring daughter. I used to love his company and as a teenager and college student I had, with him, some of the most memorable conversations of my life. To him I am deeply indebted, as much of who I am today was formed under his loving guidance. He is calmly resting now from a very busy life, in his golden years, loved and respected by his children, and cared lovingly. May God reward him one day for the great good he brought into so many people's lives, be it through education, charity, friendship or example.

8 comments:

Katie said...

That was beautiful, Ana. Your dad sounds like a wonderful man. I'm glad you were able to go visit and spend time with him recently.

gmh said...

A fine salute to a true Christian gentleman! I thank God for having had the opportunity to learn from dr. Claudio. And I am thankful for being able to share my life with his loving daughter.

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Thanks, Katie.
Husband, I always enjoy your nice comments.

P. U. said...

"It was so beautiful Ana, I read it this morning and have been thinking of it a lot."

Susan P. said...

The collage is lovely and I'm sure your tribute has made your father proud and probably made him blush as well. I think my own father would be a bit embarrassed by the notoriety.

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Thanks. My dad will not see it. He does not do computers at all.

Gardenia said...

you forgot at the end, if I may be so bold, "... and fatherhood."

What a beautiful elgant tribute to your beloved dad. You are STILL an adoring daughter I bet. Your father sounds like mine. my mom and dad celebrated their 54th wedding anniversary this month. Oh that we can live such faithful loving lives as our fathers. thanks for sharing.

E. G. said...

Lindo.