Friday, October 24, 2014

On the treadmill


I just got off my treadmill. The very fact that we own one is already highly accidental--it was a discard from friends who bought a new, better, less hiccup-y one than this one. I said 'I'll take it', before actually believing I'd ever get on it. Last winter the girls and I got on it sporadically. It was pitiful for me. I'd drag through 15 minutes and I would maybe get to .6 miles.

Since a couple of weeks ago, I have joined WW and a Facebook fitness/weight challenge group with like-minded Catholic moms. You know it's a Catholic group when we can actually earn points for sacrifices we make--which probably takes away any heavenly rewards from said sacrifices, :-) 

So I've been on it. I decided this time I'd measure time and not distance--I need to walk for 45 minutes a day to get my daily points! And I also discovered that the little garage window next to it faces South, and the green space by the townhouse. Even in these cool fall temps I've opened it a couple of times! 

I've discovered I have an extensive list of films I have never watched--mostly French romantic comedies recommended by my little sis, the one at the Abbey in Germany. No one in this house would want to watch them with me. So I've watched "The Widow of St Pierre" and "The Untouchable" and now a delightful film with an older Michael Cain where he is a retired professor in Paris. I've also been watching the many video-lectures for my online class on the Writings of Laura Ingalls.

Anyway, I've been doing my 45 minutes in installments as I can't do it all at once... but today, engrossed in the film, I kept going, and going... until I was way past a mile! I confess, I had tears in my eyes. Ah ah ah, this is nothing for most people but it was huge for me! Wish me luck!! 

Update October 26: yesterday I did the 45 minutes stretch all in one session for the first time!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I believe you can do it Ana. One step at a time will get you there. Keep up the good work, you are very inspiring!

Unknown said...

Wow good for you! But since when do we have a treadmill??

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Claudia, it was here in the garage when you came... probably covered by boxes!

Tereza Braga said...

Even your fitness schedule is Catholic !!!!
Actually loved this post. Yes, inspiring!! And me, too-- I can only do stationary exercise with entertainment (reading or movie). My real love is walking outdoors.

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Tete, thank you! I like walking outside with Geoff or the kids, or a friend, not so much alone. But the real problem is the winter here... Love you sis, and yes, my whole life is centered in the Faith. I learned it at home and am so happy I did. :-)